When a doctor diagnoses you with mesothelioma, what follows may be a very difficult and emotional time. But taking an active role in your health care can help you learn about your condition, make informed decisions about treatment, and ensure the best possible prognosis.
Below is a list of questions on mesothelioma that you may wish to ask your physician for taking treatment after you've been diagnosed with mesothelioma. You may also have your own mesothelioma questions to add to this list.
It can be hard to remember important information when feeling a lot of stress. Taking notes and even having someone go with you to take notes may be helpful.
Mesothelioma Diagnosis Questions
- What type of mesothelioma do I have?
- What is the stage of my mesothelioma and what does that mean to me?
- Has my mesothelioma spread beyond the primary site?
- What specific lab tests were completed during my diagnosis, and what do they show?
- Do I need any additional lab tests or diagnostic studies?
Mesothelioma Treatment Questions
- What mesothelioma treatment options do I have?
- Will treatment cure my mesothelioma? If not, how will it help me?
- What mesothelioma treatments do you recommend and why?
- Where will I go for treatment?
- Do I have a choice about whether or not to accept certain forms of treatment?
- What are the risks of the treatments you suggest? Do the benefits outweigh these risks?
- What kinds of side effects can I expect from my mesothelioma treatment? How will it affect my daily life?
- What are the chances my cancer will come back with these treatment plans?
- What can I do to prepare for mesothelioma treatment?
- How will we know if the mesothelioma treatment is working?
- Will my health insurance cover the cost of treatment?
- At what point should I consider participating in a clinical trial for mesothelioma treatment?
- What is my prognosis, based on what you know about my cancer so far?
Mesothelioma Treatment Facility
- Will I be able to care for myself during treatment for my malignant mesothelioma?
- Will I have to stay in the hospital or cancer facility while I am being treated, or will my family be able to take care of me?
- Can I continue working at my job with mesothelioma?
- Will I be able to resume my normal activities with mesothelioma such as exercise or hobbies?