Eating a healthy diet that contains all the essential nutrients can be a challenge for anyone. But for people with mesothelioma and other cancers, this challenge is even more difficult. Although loss of appetite and nausea are common in people with mesothelioma, eating a healthy, balanced diet becomes more important than ever. Proper nutrition helps to boost the immune system, maintain energy levels and fight the free radicals that can cause cancer. In addition, diet and nutrition can play an important role in reducing the toxic side effects of some mesothelioma treatments.
If you or someone you know has mesothelioma, here are some diet and nutrition tips for fighting the disease and living well while undergoing treatment:
- A consultation with a dietician can help you create a nutritious meal plan that is tailored to your needs.
- Most sources recommend a lower-carbohydrate diet for people with cancer. At the same time, higher amounts of protein can help repair tissue damaged by surgery or other mesothelioma treatments. It can also help to maintain a healthy immune system.
- Include fats in your diet to help supply your body with the energy it needs.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated and flush out the toxins produced by mesothelioma treatments.
- If loss of appetite prevents you from eating more than a few bites at each meal, you can boost your caloric intake and avoid excessive weight loss by consuming high-calorie foods. These include butter, milk, cheese, honey and sugars.
- Focus on liquids and soft foods if you are nauseated or have difficulty swallowing. Blended drinks such as fruit smoothies may be more tolerable than solid foods. Commercially prepared liquid diet supplements are also useful.
- To be sure you are getting enough of the nutrients you need, you may want to ask your doctor if nutritional supplements are right for you.
Mesothelioma Help Now is an asbestos cancer and legal resource center. To see if one of our mesothelioma lawyers can help you, call 800-562-9205 now.
Adding a cancer nutrition diet to your routine may help you fight mesothelioma cancer. Call 800-562-9205 for a free legal consult on asbestos cancers.
Loss of appetite is a cancer symptom. Learn the signs of mesothelioma before its too late. Call 800-562-9205 for a free legal consultation.