What to Expect from a Mesothelioma Treatment Center
Now that you've found a mesothelioma treatment center, you will be in the hands of experienced, knowledgeable physicians with access to cutting-edge treatments.
Your Mesothelioma Treatment Center Team
At the mesothelioma treatment center, you'll be assigned to a team of medical specialists, which may include one or more of the following:
- A pulmonologist, a medical doctor who treats lung diseases, including mesothelioma
- A thoracic (chest) surgeon, who performs surgery to remove mesothelioma tumors
- A radiation oncologist, who uses radiation therapy to treat mesothelioma
- A medical oncologist, who treats mesothelioma with chemotherapy
In addition, your treatment center team may include respiratory therapists, social workers, nurse practitioners, and other health professionals.
Mesothelioma Treatment Center: Treatment Options
Prior to contacting the mesothelioma treatment center, your doctor should have conducted testing to confirm the diagnosis of mesothelioma. Your treatment center team will prescribe treatments for you based on the results of those tests, which will tell them the stage of mesothelioma, the size and location of the tumor, and whether the disease has spread to other organs or nearby lymph nodes.
Another major factor in determining the course of your treatment is you - the state of your overall health, as well as your personal preferences. As always, you have the right to refuse any treatment for any reason.
Upon evaluating all of these factors, your mesothelioma treatment center team may recommend one or more of the following:
- Surgery to remove the tumor
- Radiation therapy to shrink the tumor and control symptoms
- Chemotherapy to kill cancer cells and control symptoms
- Clinical trials to give you access to groundbreaking treatments
- Alternative therapies to complement traditional cancer treatments
Mesothelioma treatment center services are costly. That's why, in addition to your treatment center team, you need a legal professional on your side to help you pursue compensation for your injuries. Call a mesothelioma lawyer today. You may be entitled to compensation that could help pay your medical bills.